Specialised ion exchange resins to turn waste cooking oils into biodiesel
With the high cost of diesel fuel and the large amount of toxic waste emissions released into the atmosphere by diesel powered vehicles, many people and businesses are looking for a cost effective and environmentally friendly alternative to keep their vehicles running such as biodiesel.
Using various starting materials such as vegetable oils, waste cooking oils and animal fats, the manufacture of biodiesel involves the reaction of fatty acids with alcohols (esterification) or the reaction of triglycerides with a new alcohol component (transesterification). Both esterification and transesterification is carried out in presence of an alcohol (methanol) and catalysts (typically concentrated sulphuric acid). These processes yield raw biodiesel (methyl ester) and glycerin as principal products along with the soap, catalyst and methanol.
This process is followed by the bulk separation of the products of the reaction. The biodiesel created by transesterification (methyl ester) is passed through a specialized ion exchange resin column to remove impurities like glycerin, soaps and traces of catalyst. In this final reaction, the impurities become attached to the resin bed and the final products are solid ionic salts and, of course, pure biodiesel.
At Resin Products we provide specialised ion exchange resins to work within the transesterification process. Our resins are produced to be particularly effective when reacting with various forms of triglycerides.
Benefits of using Tulsion Brand resins to produce biodiesel as an alternative vehicle fuel
Resin Products is proud to be a provider of high quality specialised ion exchange resins from Thermax India. In addition to being part of a simple and continuous process which is a proven alternative to the water separation process (which is frequently very messy), transesterification using the Tulsion range of resins has further benefits:
- Engineered to handle desired pressure drops and flow kinetics.
- Specifically designed pore size for effective processing of long chain hydrocarbons (for macroporous type).
- Highly compatible with variation in the process feed, temperature and pH.
- Treats diverse biodiesel qualities originating from varied sources of triglycerides.
- Possibility exists to regenerate spent media thereby achieving lower process and disposal cost.
- Tulsion Brand resins are being used as the initial media for new systems and have also successfully replaced competitive resins in existing resin mixes.
Resins recommended for biodiesel applications include:
- Tulsion T45BD
Contact Resin Products for further information on how specialised ion exchange resins can improve your biodiesel production
For further information or for assistance with your product application, click here or contact Resin Products on 0121 796 6450.